Available 24/7 / Contact Us For Questions Or An Initial Consultation 
Judith Holzman Law Offices
Family Law, Mediation, Collaborative Law
Judith Holzman Law Offices
Family Law, Mediation, Collaborative Law
Judith Holzman Law Offices
Family Law, Mediation, Collaborative Law

A Vaughan Lawyer For All Types Of Child Custody Issues

If you are a parent, you may fear how a divorce will change your relationship with your children. Apart from the emotional upheaval of a separation, children are affected by new living arrangements and possibly new house rules to live by. Your concerns are valid, and I am here to talk you through them.

I have been a family lawyer for more than 40 years in Ontario and have seen the legal system evolve beyond traditional custody and access arrangements. It is possible to come to a solution that allows you to remain fully involved in your children’s lives in a way that promotes their well-being.

My legal practice is located in Vaughan, Ontario, under the name of Judith Holzman Law Offices.

Options For Child Custody

Many parents think of custody as an “all-or-nothing” deal, where children live with one parent, while the other parent pays child support and has visitation rights. In fact, the options for child care following divorce are quite broad. Children may split their time equally between the parents. They may live full time with one parent, but the other parent may have unlimited access. The options are restricted only by what is in the best interests of the children.

Custody is not just about residence. It is also about decision-making. Some parents have significant disagreement on this point. When it is possible and in the children’s best interests, decisions may be made jointly, specifically major decisions regarding health, education and religion. This, however, is also flexible. “Parallel parenting” agreements are increasingly common in Ontario. In this scenario, if parents do not get along, each one can have authority in a specific area. For example, one parent may make decisions about health, and the other parent may make decisions about education.

Listening To The Children

Older children will have a say when choices are made about their care. While it is difficult to assess the wishes of very young children, they and preteens and teenagers will have input during divorce proceedings.

In addition, custody and access issues are often resolved with the assistance of social workers, psychologists and an Ontario government agency known as the Office of the Children’s Lawyer.

Parenting Agreement Lawyer Serving Newmarket And York Region

These are not easy issues. It is likely you never anticipated having to make these kinds of decisions. You may be uncertain about what you want, let alone what your spouse will ask for. I know this is a difficult time, and I am here to provide you with compassion and experience. I can help clear the fog and walk you through your options for resolution.

Contact my office online or call me at 905-303-1070 (Vaughan) or 416-977-3050 (Toronto) or 866-233-0945 (Canada toll free) to schedule a consultation. I am here to help. As a family lawyer in Vaughan, I advise on child custody, support, property division and other divorce issues.